Sunday, January 06, 2008

Epiphany

So. Shortly after we returned from our brief but loverly jaunt across town, it became clear: Trey's omelette was not, in fact, laced with sedatives.

No: Trey was, unfortunately, laced with ick. This particular brand of ick has rendered him either unconscious or coughing uncontrollably for the last thirtyish hours.

It's been fun for all, I assure you.

An original, introspective post? I don't have it in me tonight. But a meme? I can totally tackle.

This one's been making the rounds for a few days, but: well, no one's ever accused me of being prompt. And technically, we're still within the first week of the new year, so it's marginally seasonal.

Hey: beggars can't be choosers. Here, then, is my retrospective view of the past twelve months.

1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before?
Purchased a minivan. Housed a complete and total stranger. Took an honest-to-goodness family vacation, just the five of us, and utterly adored it.


2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
For two years running now, I have, apparently, been too consumed with fielding a meme than formulating a list of good intentions. Perhaps this is for the best.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Well, my initial response to this was: yes, my friend and former neighbor Kirsten. But I'm inclined to discount her, because she moved oh, so far away, practically to Oklahoma, and took the baby with her. Harumph.


4. Did anyone close to you die?
First: my fabulous, funny, one-of-a-kind great-aunt Josephine. Who singlehandedly made the world a brighter, more vivacious place and who, I kid you not, moved from Mississippi to Dallas at her first opportunity "because of Neiman Marcus."


And then: Trey's beautiful, gracious, strong of will and sound of mind grandmother. Two amazing ladies, both beloved and much missed.

5. What countries did you visit?
In my memories, supplemented by dusty old travel journals: several. In reality: just this one.


6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
Patience. Perspective. Grace.


7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Two especially happy birthdays stand out: my grandmother's ninetieth, and Trey's fortieth.


8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Motherhood: Now In Its Fifth Smash Year!


9. What was your biggest failure?
Seriously? Feeling like a fraud, a flunkie, a flibbertigibbet of a mom much too often.


10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Oh, I suppose I might have busted my face doing yoga.


11. What was the best thing you bought?
I badgered Trey into giving me an iPhone for Christmas. It's unnatural, how much I love it.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Wow: I couldn't possibly single out just one person. So I'll begin with Nanny, for kicking it nonagenerian-style. Sarah and Carl, for becoming affianced. Jenny, for taking Heroes for Children to new heights. Friends and family who moved into new and improved houses over the year. And, of course, Trey, for continuing to humor, comfort and adore me against the odds.


13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I won't say me, because Trey will insist I'm too hard on myself. So... not to kick a girl when she's down, but I have to call out Britney Spears. I just can't watch the trainwreck anymore; it's become gruesome.


14. Where did most of your money go?
Have you by any chance checked into the tuition for a Montessori preschool lately? Pretty absurd, huh? Now take that number and triple it. Gulp.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The truth? I felt incredibly ambivalent about sending S and K to school this year. Yeah, I knew they were ready. Yeah, I knew I was ready. However, actually making the leap was a tough move for me.

But. BUT. I LOVE THIS SCHOOL. Love it. Love the teachers, love the classrooms, love the families. Have oh, so completely adored the social activities for parents. But most especially, have been thrilled to the point of tears at seeing my three babies happy to be there. Learning there. Thriving there. And the truth? I thank God for there.

16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
The Little Einsteins theme song.


17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier, I'd like to think.

b) thinner or fatter? Definitely fatter. The only weight-loss plan that's ever worked for me was birthing twins, then breastfeeding them for a year. Can't do that again, unfortunately.

c) richer or poorer? I'd have to double-check this with my accountant, Trey, but I feel confident in guessing that the answer is: poorer.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Fun mommy stuff.


19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Unfun mommy stuff.


20. How did you spend Christmas?
First with Sarah and Carl, the day before Christmas. Then just us, on Christmas morning. Then in Houston, on Christmas evening. Then in San Antonio, a few days after Christmas.


I'm pretty sure we're responsible for denuding an entire forest with all of the gift wrap we discarded.

21. Did you fall in love in 2007?
Times four.


22. What was your favorite TV program?
We finally, finally found a show we both enjoyed: 30 Rock. And then the writers went on strike. So now we're back to documentaries about manufacturing (him) and Sex and the City reruns (me). Sigh.


23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I have no doubt that you're a super nice guy, James Blunt, but your voice? Has the exact same effect on me as sharp, pointy fingernails scraping a newly cleaned chalkboard. Sorry.


24. What was the best book you read?
Eat, Pray, Love.


25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Did you know that you can buy this device that stores electronic files of music? I didn't before. But now I do. It's, like, the most awesome thing ever.


26. What did you want and get?
For my friend sha to come to Dallas. And how much fun did we have? SO MUCH FUN.

27. What did you want and not get?
To take the whole fam damily to Chicago and show the muppers what winter really looks like. Another Longhorn national championship would have been a nice touch, too. Maybe next year, on both counts.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
On the big screen? Waitress: now three for three. On the small screen? Knocked Up. Left the screen before we got a chance to see it, and I'm still feeling peevish? The Darjeeling Limited.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Good grief, my memory's getting spotty in my old age: I was 37, and I'm sure it was properly commemorated, but I can't recall a single detail.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I can't immediately think of one thing that might fit that tall order, but I am filled with remorse and regret that I didn't spend more time recording the muppers' wee precious voices and hilarious bon mots.


31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
Ann Taylor Loft. A size larger than I'd like it to be. And dull, don't-look-at-me shoes. Perhaps a revamp, it is in order.


32. What kept you sane?
My posse, my peeps, my homegirls. You know who you are.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I might have a little platonic crush on Barack Obama.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The upcoming election. Two hundred and thirty-one days till the convention. Three hundred and seventy-nine days till, for better or worse, the Oval Office has a new resident.

35. Who did you miss?
A host of lost friends, both near and far, but Debelah nabs the top spot.


36. Who was the best new person you met?
Officially meeting Tracey, off the blog and in the flesh: an absolute highlight. Getting to know Jenny. Meeting Deb and loving her instantly. Ditto Jenn and Stacy and Megan. Kelly, too. Fab women: fab year.

Psst: hey, St. Richard and nodnarB! You guys rock, too.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.
The Neti pot, she is tricky.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I'll bet we've been together for a million years...
And I'll bet we'll be together for a million more.
It's like I started breathing on the night we kissed,
And I can't remember what I ever did before.


Because, well, there really ain't no nothing we can't love each other through. So here's to the F5 in '08. Sha la la la.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it.

With the exception of the James Blunt hating. We have his new CD and it is fantastic. Even if the guy does have some serious anger and mental health issues.

6:27 AM  
Blogger anniemcq said...

Oh, this was the perfect little something to drink my coffee by! But sister, you have to go a little easier on yourself!

6:29 AM  
Blogger anniemcq said...

OOOOooooh - Tracey and I commented at the same time! Hi Tracey!

6:30 AM  
Blogger Rich Robinson said...

Awwww....I made the blog. You like me. You REALLY like me!

Thanks Amy. And I have to agree with Miss AnnieMcQ...You are far too hard on yourself. You are one of the coolest people I know. Deal with it.

Unfortunately, I must now publicly berate you for your dislike of James Blunt. LOVE HIM. I have been listening to his cd nonstop since Christmas, and I can't stop. Did you know he served as an armoured reconnaissance officer in the NATO peacekeeping force in Kosovo. He strapped his guitar to the outside of his tank, and played for the locals. How cool is that?!

I suppose I still love you anyway, though. =)

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Anniemcq!!!

I love how my husband knows things like this about James Blunt and shares them with you, but ME? Me? I can't get him to talk to ME. Or comment on MY blog.

Okay, as I'm typing this, I just got an e-mail pop-up saying Saint Richard commented on JENNY'S blog now.

My husband and his harem.

7:56 AM  
Blogger SHA said...

Scarlett...is that you?

You have no idea how often I revisit my weekend in Dallas. The running to and fro, the kids racing through the house on that big wheel, the eating, Central Market and my tears when it was time to go.

Let's do it again!

8:37 AM  
Blogger Lady Di said...

Ah, Amy -- We're trying to decide about moving the Juj to a new school, and you've added fuel to the fire with your answer to question 15, despite the fact they want a picture with the application. ;-) (And, hey, yes - 30 Rock rocks!)

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home