Thursday, November 29, 2007

I do.

Yesterday, mi hermana loca, otherwise known as Sarah, e-mailed me this must-see video clip. Young, blushing newlyweds take to the floor for their first dance as husband and wife: truly, it's a tender moment captured in time for their children and grandchildren, not to mention 1,242,000 complete and total strangers.

Please, count yourself among the masses:


Now, I may be a tree-hugging, heart-bleeding, bed-wetting liberal when it comes to politics, but where matters of matrimony are concerned, I'm actually a pretty traditional girl.

Yes, Trey and I were betrothed in a garden, and it's true that our vows were partially plagiarized, but our wedding day was otherwise a blissful if basic affair. We were in no way striving to be unique or creative; we were much more concerned with making things, you know, legal. And, because we were fresh out of college, affordable.

Anyhoo. My point, and I do have one, is that I tend to be a bit prim and staid in my expectations of what constitutes a wedding celebration.

Verily, I say: to each her own, but I fail to fully grasp the whole cake-smashing concept. Ditto the trash-the-dress phenomenon, although I have to admit that the results can be lovely.

And wedding pranks? I still wince when I recall the time a college friend kneeled for prayer next to his blushing bride, unwittingly revealing to the gathered congregation the words, painted in fuschia nail polish on the soles of his shoes, HELP ME.

Having said all of this, I'll tell you that when I saw the video above, I laughed myself nearly out of my chair and into a large heap on the floor. I laughed until I cried. And not just a little cry, mind you; it was a messy, mascara-running-down-cheeks, gasping-for-breath cry of the very happiest sort.

Why? Two reasons.

First, because it was such a fabulous reminder that my narrow views of what a wedding should or shouldn't include were only relevant on one day: March 20, 1994. I was the bride, he was the groom, and together, for better and for worse, we called the shots and created a day that was a reflection of us. And so should it be for every marrying couple.

You want to dress up in full Star Wars regalia for your wedding day? Best wishes, and may the force be with you. Because if you've dreamed your entire life of being married by Chewbacca and a squadron of Jedi knights, and you were blessed to find another like-minded soul in the world, then what anyone else wishes or thinks should matter not one whit.

And the second reason I cried big fat tears of joy at the Brubakers' first dance? Because... well, the thing is, it's not my news to share, so I really shouldn't open my big mouth, but I'm just so happy that I'm quite literally about to pop, and you wouldn't tell anybody, would you? You'll just keep it between us? Promise?

Okay. C'mere, and I'll whisper it quietly: my sister Sarah? The one who sent me the video? My very first best friend, war buddy, maid of honor and traveling companion from the time we were in car seats, to the time we bussed across Europe? She's freshly engaged, as of this weekend.

And I'm so ridiculously over-the-moon happy for her and fiance extraordinaire Carl, who already feels like a full-fledged member of the family, that I get weepy every. single. time. I think about the two of them tying the knot and embarking on a shiny new life together. And I absolutely cannot wait for the day they take to the floor for their first dance as mister and missus.

Cake-smashed face and trashed dress optional. Congratulations, y'all.

6 Comments:

Blogger anniemcq said...

Yahoooo! Congratulations Sarah!

Love this post to bits and pieces. Oh, and the Star Wars wedding? I'm pretty sure that will be Joe-Henry.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

That video was exactly what I needed this morning!! So freakin funny. I can tell I really like that couple, A LOT.

6:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to your sister of my same name! So. Much. Fun.

I have to say that this video made me smile and smile big. It made me happy in my heart. This couple knows how to have fun with one another. They completely ignored the fact that Grandma and Great Aunt Ruthie came all the way in from Wisconsin to be there. And why? Beacuse neither their wedding nor their marriage is about Grandma or Great Aunt Ruthie coming all the way in from Wisconsin.

I don't talk about it much, but we all know I have been married now twice. Two weddings. The first one was an enormous affair, a year in the planning and very traditional. It was quite beautiful. That marriage, however, failed miserably.

When Pete and I got engaged, I was ready to race to the alter that day - just he, I and our priest. I wasn't even remotely interested in flowers, food, invitations and hotel reservations. All I wanted to do was marry this man that I was so deeply in love with - right then.

Pete, having never been married before, wanted a big wedding. We both sulked and sighed for a day or so and agreed to meet in the middle - and have fun with it. I can't say we went as far as the folks in this video, but if we'd had more time we would have.

Our original plan was to dance to "Night Fever" by the Bee Gee's and dance the scene from the movie (which, sigh, actually holds meaning for us). We didn't manage to get in the necessary rehearsal time (it's different panning a wedding with a four year-old son in the mix), but we made sure not to get caught up in planning a wedding for all our relatives, but planning a wedding for ourselves, that others would enjoy!

6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the blog shout-out, mi hermana!! We're excited too! Although I must say, after watching this video clip, Carl looked a little green around the gills at the thought of a dance routine for our big day. It's probably for the best, as we are both a bit rhythmically-challenged!! I think all we'd be able to pull off is the infamous high school side-to-side sway.
XOXO
Sarah

9:22 AM  
Blogger Mommy Mo said...

That was awesome and I'm in awe. I would love to pull something like that off, but 1)I'm already married and 2)I'm fairly certain I don't have as much rhythm as that bride.

BUt maybe there is hope for me and the hubby as we are attempting to get married (again) but by the Catholic Church this time and when and if that ever happens, we just might have to throw ourselves a big ole party and maybe, just maybe, hubby and I will come up with our own dance routine.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Lolabola* said...

YAY! and I just died laughing

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home