Friday, August 10, 2007

Reunion

I never knew him: I wish I had. But every time I pass his portrait in our hallway, I smile at the twinkle in his eye. I'm told that my husband shares his sense of style and his wry sense of humor, and I know that my firstborn son shares his name, just like his father and grandfather. I never knew him, but I like to think this would make him happy.






I did know her, I'm proud to say, but only in her final years. But in her final years, she impressed me with her grace and beauty, her strength of character and will. When they're old enough to understand, I'll tell her great-grandchildren what I know about her, and I'll point to the chairs, the tables and quilts in our home that were once in hers.



I never knew them together, but I like to think that they're together now. As a mother, it brings me joy to know that their three outstanding children, two sons and a daughter, have joined together this weekend, too, to remember their parents and the lives they lived so well.

Much love goes out tonight, as always, to the original Franklin Five. Without you, I know, there would be no us.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post, and beautiful pictures. Carter I and his family are so lovely.
It's sweet that they have two sons and a daughter just like you.

We are very sorry for your loss, and send you all lots of love and hugs.

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so sweet, and I love how you were able to post the pictures.

Tiredly waving hi!

8:14 AM  
Blogger anniemcq said...

Franklin, this is so beautiful. What a lovely tribute. My heart goes out to all of you.

5:26 PM  
Blogger The Agarita House said...

Amy,

Excellent post. Brought tears to my eyes. You have such a way with words.

xox,
mary

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home