Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Peanut gallery

No need to check the thermometer: we've got a raging case of cabin fever, en masse.

For a while we were sick and couldn't do much of anything. Then we were sick and tired and didn't want to do anything. Then we were just plain tired of anything and everything.

And today, when we'd decided that we were going to get back into the swing of things, by golly, the skies quite literally opened up and rained out our grand plans.

It's really thrown the muppers for a loop, stuck in the same house with the same few people, day after day after day.

The silver lining is that, in the midst of all this quality time together, I've picked up a few mupper quips worth sharing. To wit:

1. Spencer is granted the rare treat of a big-as-his-face glazed doughnut. Wary of any new food, even one that smells like deep-fried heaven, he tastes it with the very tip of his tongue. Immediately, he beams a sunshine smile at me and chirps, "Oh! It's very licky."

2. Brother turns against brother a hundred times a day around here, but it's highly unusual for Katie to land in the middle of a skirmish. So everyone's surprised when Carter loses his patience and shoves his sister... including Carter. She starts to cry; he's instantly contrite.

"I'm sorry, Katie," he says, tenderly wrapping his arms around her. "S'okay," she mumbles unconvincingly into his shoulder.

He looks worried. "Will you still marry me?" he asks. She nods her assent. "Can we still get the Barbie Jeep?" "Sure," she says, and they skip off together as Trey and I exchange glances in equal doses of shock and amusement.

3. Our walls are covered in crayon-imprinted manila paper. Katie draws smiles, Spencer scribbles, and Carter creates his very own Spiderman comic strips. With aliens.

Spiderman confronts a pair of aliens with glowing green eyes. Spiderman casts a web at a ne'er-do-well alien invader. Spiderman sternly commands an alien to "FET," which of course means "fight."

You get the picture. Like, two dozen of them.

So it's a nice change of pace when Carter presents me with a non-Spiderman illustration of a girl with a huge grin. "Oh, Carter," I say, "I love this happy face. Thank you so much!"

"You're welcome," he says. "It's you."

"Me? Really? You drew a picture of me?" I'm gushing.

"Wow! I can see it now, with the blue eyes, and the... short arms. It's wonderful, sweetie; thank you so much. And can I just tell you? I am loving the curly red hair."

"Well," he explains, "before I was born, I thought you had red hair."

"Really?" I ask, barely containing the giggles. "Yeah," he says, "but then I was born, and I saw that your hair was brown."

For the record, I think I prefer the red. Although I like my arms just the way they are.

Nutty kids. Love 'em.

3 Comments:

Blogger anniemcq said...

these children of yours are so dang CAH-YOOT!

I love Carter's comment about your hair before he was born. I believe they really know stuff like that.

I'm going to bookmark this one and read it again when I have a bad day. Love it!

6:35 AM  
Blogger nodnarB! said...

DUDE! The hair comment sounds just like a Benisim. WE have got to get those two together so their diabolical minds can create all things Spidey and good. Been made a Spider Man board game the other day. I am sure he would love to have an illustrator to help it come to life.

Have a great vacation. Give us a ringy dingy when you get back. We are starting to venture out in public with the twitters and enjoy a margarita on occasion.

Peace

8:07 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

The "marry me" one made me cry with laughter.

Where do kids come up with these things?

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home