Thursday, March 13, 2008

Cold comfort

Comfortable. Being comfortable was our primary goal today at House of Flu.

So we stayed in our jammies all day. Became one with the couch, watching the best stories ever come to life on the television screen.

And at lunchtime, we ate our favorite sandwiches: ham for Carter. PB-and-J for S and K.

For me? Avocado something-or-other.

Allow me to explain.

My sister Mary is one of those special people who always seems to leave a place better than she found it. It's just one of her many endearing qualities.

So when she comes for a visit, whether it's for a few days or a few months, she brings with her a mental to-do list. She's kind of like Santa Claus, channeling Martha Stewart.

Maybe she'll attack my kitchen pantry, which is, on any given day, so disheveled and disorganized that the sight of it would easily bring the Queen of Clutter to her knees.

She might order me to pitch six-foot stacks of unread magazines into the recycling bin.

"You cannot convince me that you need this Southern Living from two years ago," she'll say. "If you ever actually get around to making Florentine Potato Gratin, which is doubtful, I promise you can find the recipe on-line."

And she's right, of course.

Occasionally, she attempts to improve the children, using techniques she has gathered from watching episodes of Supernanny and Dog Whisperer. These efforts are usually short-lived.

When Mary drove up to Dallas a few weeks ago, we had big plans for how productively we would employ her brief two-day stay. We were gonna whip this house into shape, by cracky, one room at a time.

And then we learned that her visit coincided perfectly with that of another v.i.p.

So instead of digging out my walk-in closet, we spent the better part of our time together standing shoulder-to-shoulder with 17,000 new friends, all eager to see and hear some guy from Chicago.

We weren't disappointed.

In true Mary style, however, she refused to leave town until we'd made two surprisingly efficient runs to The Container Store, delivered one hefty donation of gently used clothes and toys to Goodwill, and totally reorganized one bathroom cabinet.

As a final gesture, she also left me with the recipe for avocado something-or-other sandwich.

Or, as I now call it, A No-Fail Plan for Gaining Fifteen Pounds in Three Weeks.

Here's the blueprint:

Two pieces of multigrain bread, slightly toasted and thinly smeared with mayonnaise. On one side, layer cheddar cheese and half of a medium, al dente avocado, neatly sliced.

The other side gets a thick coating of alfalfa (not brussels) sprouts, sprinkled liberally with sunflower seeds.

Smush together. And savor.

Sounds like a strange combination, I know. But it's seriously delicious. Absolutely satisfying. And definitely comforting.

Thanks, Mar. Love you, sweets.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lady Di said...

sounds great -- but i don't want to know how you found a link to how to organize your pantry! (ain't the intarweb a miracle?)

we're sending healing thoughts!

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, between you and Mary and the WW points I am allotting myself, I was whipped into a frenzy over the lack of sprouts and seeds in my kitchen. Let me tell you, a healthy portion of mango pico de gallo will work as a dandy substitute atop the avocado dressed toast, and if the only cheddar you have is grated, that is okay too. Love Ma

4:48 PM  
Blogger anniemcq said...

Since we're twins, I'm wondering: can Mary come up here for a visit soon?

Someday, friend, I will send you pictures of my disorganization that will make you feel much better about your stack of magazines. I promise.

6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Am,

First of all, no matter how long it's been since I've been on line (gasp. at least a week) your blog is the first thing I check. :) You're so awesome to document our visit. Wasn't it just the best two days?! I mean Barack and the CS!? Can it get ANY sweeter...Thanks for making my day.

xox, mar

p.s. how's the cabinet doing?...

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh and by the way, how HOT do we look in that pic?!

and I can only say that because while you always look amazing, I however look like poo in like 98% of all photos taken.

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home