Friday, February 01, 2008

Because

Because I have words of my own: many. But sometimes it's nice to borrow another's.
Because it's the first day of febbraio, the month of amore.
Because... well, just because.

TO MY DEAR AND LOVING HUSBAND
If ever two were one, then surely we.
If ever man were loved by wife, then thee.
If ever wife was happy in a man,
Compare with me, ye women, if you can.
I prize thy love more than whole Mines of gold,
Or all the riches that the East doth hold.
My love is such that Rivers cannot quench,
Nor ought but love from thee, give recompense.
Thy love is such I can no way repay;
The heavens reward thee manifold, I pray.
Then while we live, in love let’s so persever,
That when we live no more, we may live ever.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pulling out the big guns with Bradstreet, huh?

She was quite a rebel in her day, when poetry was limited to adulation of God. I taught her as part of my American Lit curriculum, and I always tried to get the students to see just how revolutionary she was...like a Gloria Steinem of her age. And then they would always look at me blankly and ask "Gloria who?"

And then I would cry.

What did Mr. F5 do to deserve this tribute.

5:53 AM  
Blogger anniemcq said...

You two look like a perfectly matched pair. I love the Dean Martin, too!

7:57 AM  
Blogger life with the wisners said...

you two are incredibly cute.

incredibly. cute.

and those glasses? move over, sugar photography. that needs to be mounted in the living room.

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home