Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Friendly tip

I have a... well, uh, we'll call her a friend, even though she's not especially friendly.

Stay with me.

This... friend has a propensity for dropping by about once a month, and it's never pretty. One minute, I'm reasonably happy and mellow, but then she arrives and I feel all shouty and screechy.

It's fun for everyone, really.

This has been going on for years... like, since I was thirteen? Um, yeah. So you'd think I'd have developed better coping skills by now, but: not so much.

The worst bit is that it's almost always a complete and total surprise when she... shows up. I mean, if I knew she was coming, I'd have baked her a cake, you know? Euphemistically speaking, of course.

However, I have another friend.

No, really: I do have another friend. This is where I quit being coy for just a second.

This friend told me about a web site she found that's specifically organized for tracking the travel plans of guests everywhere.

Now I get an e-mail every month that says: WATCH OUT. Your friend, she is en route.

And even though I'm still not overjoyed to be the recipient of this visit (although, for the record, the alternative would also make me shouty and screechy, and not necessarily in a celebratory way), I'm at least grateful to have a heads-up.

And I just felt compelled to share this on the exceptionally off-chance that you also have a friend who needs tracking.

Whew. I'm glad we had this little talk.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lady Di said...

too funny! although this would have been incredibly useful, say six years ago, when i was tracking all this stuff by hand to try to enable me to get pregnant. ah well, those days are over.

5:27 AM  
Blogger Big Mama said...

I actually do bake a cake or cookies for my friend each month and then I eat the entire thing by myself. While crying over something meaningless and trivial.

7:31 AM  
Blogger anniemcq said...

I think I am getting ready to say goodbye to my friend. And even though she's been a pain in so many ways, I'll still kinda miss her!

7:07 AM  
Blogger life with the wisners said...

seriously...how did i miss this? how? am off to the site. or wait? should i? do i really WANT to know when she's coming. and i definitely will NOT bake her a cake. maybe provide chips and queso and a dr. pepper.

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home