Monday, January 07, 2008

Artwalk

When I believed, on Saturday, that my better half was deeply, deeply relaxed... and not, in reality, beset by some malicious strain of rhinovirus... I suggested that we might take a jaunt to a local museum for a much-needed influx of culture.

Gamely, he agreed. And so we set forth to the Nasher, haven to a rather extraordinary collection of sculpture not far from our hotel.

What a sophisticated destination, I thought, for two adults without a care, or an apparent diaper bag, in the world.

That's what I thought. Until we walked through the minimalist lobby, and smack-dab into Kiddie Central.

Didn't we know that on the first Saturday of every month, the museum opens its doors to families, with giveaways from Target?

Oh, I can assure you: we did not. And so it was quite the shock to discover that the normally serene, airy space was chock-full of children in various stages of indifference toward the arts.

For example. Zigzagging through the main gallery, which boasted an impressive collection of larger-than-life zaftig female nudes by Gaston Lachaise, were two adorable bow-headed girls in matching pink dresses.

Close on their heels: a mother with her jaw set and an all-too-familiar fire in her eyes. Joining in the chase was a slightly older boy, arms and legs akimbo, and a handsome but, I reckoned, slightly bewildered dad.

In a flash, the mother had all three kiddos lined up and, with finger pointed, began firing off admonishments and warnings. When the lecture was finished, the children looked unabashed, and their mother rolled her eyes heavenward.

"Let me guess," Trey said. "A five-year-old and three-year-old twins?"

"YES!" was the exasperated reply. We allowed that we were familiar with the dynamic.

We commiserated for a bit, trading war stories and laughing together at the sheer insanity of it all, while agreeing that it was absolutely impossible to imagine life any other way.

After a minute, we said our goodbyes and wandered off toward the outdoor cafe for a quick snack before exploring the sculpture garden. I glanced back over my shoulder and noticed one of the girls in pink looking after us, holding her dad's hand.

And in that instant, I felt evenly cleaved between wanting to savor this rare afternoon of just-us time... and wanting to dash back to the car and drive home to hug the three who make up our family of five.

We stayed, of course. We savored. We even had a little fun with the camera: check it out.

But I have to say: the welcome-home hugs were pretty unforgettable.

5 Comments:

Blogger anniemcq said...

LOVE the pictures! You both look darling and relaxed. The pictures of the ceiling and the shadows and the BOOTS (love those boots, Amy!), and of course, your lovely selves are my faves.

5:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto - LOVE the pictures. The "he's just not that into you" is priceless. I just adore the both of you! Like, so much. Like, so much that I would never, ever EVER get sick of you if you were to move to my neighborhood. With the cheaper houses. And fantastic public schools. And Longhorns 25 minutes away. And Flagship Whole Foods 25 minutes away.

6:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG Tracey. Do. Not. Make. Me. Text. You.

6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back away from the I-Phone, Weintraub. Back. away.

But really, can you blame me? Here I am, 3 hours away, while all my most favorite gal pals are TOGETHER in the Big-D. What's a bereft sister from a different mother to do???

6:09 AM  
Blogger 000 said...

let's do the math...

you are there. *WE* are here.

trying to move all of OUR families?

not gonna happen.

but you? aren't you in the mood for something a little different? (and as I sit here, trying to list the great things about Dallas that could possibly draw you here...all I got is:) think about how much fun it would be to see us guys ALL THE TIME!

but maybe that's not unlike wanting christmas to happen every single day, right?

I dare ya! I double dog dare ya!

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home