Thursday, November 15, 2007

That's a peach, hon.

So, a personal creed: do you have one? It shouldn't surprise anyone who knows me that I don't, because this would imply a certain level of structure and purpose that's sorely lacking in my life. For heaven's sake, I still need to write a few outstanding thank-you notes for wedding gifts.

Why, yes, the wedding was in 1994. You're so kind to mention it.

I can't say that Trey's the type to put much stock in personal creeds, but if I could be so bold to select one for him, it would be: Work Hard, Play Hard.

This probably sounds more impressive in Latin, but the only thing I've retained after dedicating much of my adolescence to the study of maddening little words that end in the letter "a," is: Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres. Which doesn't get me very far these days.

Anyhoo: Trey. Daily, he quests to strike the best possible balance between what he must do and what he wants to do.

For example, he must, on occasion, travel for work and, after the work part has concluded, he must eat in nice restaurants with wine lists and no high chairs. However, he really wants to bathe three shrieking, splashing, uncooperative muppers while I fall into a weeping heap on the couch.

I kid! I kid because I love. And also because I don't have the foggiest idea what Trey does for a living.

I mean, I know he markets... something. And meets about... things. And I'm absolutely certain that he has marketing meetings. But after that, it gets a little fuzzy for me. Does his company manufacture widgets? Does he worry about the WENUS? I can't be sure.

Whenever we're introduced to new people, and the question, "So, Trey, what do you do?" inevitably arises, I try very hard to focus on the words coming out of his mouth. But it's no use, because I'm listening, I'm listening, and then: look! A butterfly! Look at the butterfly! And so another learning opportunity passes me by.

Still, I have the distinct impression that Trey works extremely hard from nine to five. Or, more frequently, eight to six. Seven to seven? Sometimes, yes.

And it's not like his work is done when he metaphorically clocks out, because his offspring show him not one shred of mercy as he walks through the front door at the end of a long day.

So he'd more than earned an uninterrupted day of play today. And in keeping with his personal creed, he played really, really hard.

Specifically, Trey played golf today. FIFTY holes of the stuff. In ONE day. And here's the best part: it was for a totally awesome cause.

My friend Jenny, who just happens to be the most remarkable person I've ever known in real life, organized not one, but two golf tournaments in the span of one month for her organization, Heroes for Children, and invited Trey to participate in both.

So a few weeks ago, Trey played in the Heroes for Children Golf Classic, which was, as it turns out, a great warm-up for today's Golf-A-Thon. He also e-mailed friends, family and co-workers to ask for their support, and thanks to their astonishing generosity and great big warm and fuzzy hearts, he personally raised more than $1,700 for HFC.

For a glimpse at how that money will be used to help families in Texas whose children are battling cancer, read this. Pretty heady stuff, huh?

I'm so impressed with and so incredibly proud of Trey's part in helping HFC today, and I'm so grateful to everyone who supported him in the endeavor. He'd thank you himself, I'm sure, if he weren't crashed out on the couch, sawing logs, cheeks ever so slightly windburned. He's pretty darn cute, my hard-working man.

Sleep well, husband. And sweet dreams: you definitely earned 'em. Because tomorrow? It's back to work, buddy.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this post.

And I have my own warm fuzzy post to do about the saint, but alas, it will have to wait until later this afternoon. I'm due upstairs for a 3 hour Social Justice class in 6 minutes.

6:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trey is definitely the hardest working man in...whatever business. Sounds like a great way to spend a day away from TPS reports.

6:34 AM  
Blogger anniemcq said...

Good thing Trey put in those charity hours, because I'm pretty sure he works with Sydney Bristow at SD-6 trying to find the Rambaldi.

Way to go, Trey!

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home