Friday, March 16, 2007

Lucky break

Oh, my sweet bloggy circle of friends, near and far, known and unknown... please don't give up on me just yet.

It's true that I've been a perfectly horrible correspondent lately: friendly and funny e-mails have gone unanswered, wonderfully witty and wise blog posts have gone uncommented (not a word? well, it should be) and this blog has gathered dust and grown weeds even as my backyard has erupted in blossoms and buds of every conceivable color.

Tender red photinia leaves, shocking fuschia redbuds, snowy white pear trees and tiny verdant shoots of new grass: my black-and-white computer screen can't possibly compete.

Then, of course, there's the matter of the boy. At this point in our life, how can spring break cause such a disruption in our weekly schedule? He's just one kid, going to preschool three days a week. Yet, errands that I might have run with two in tow will have to wait: no way am I wrangling all three of my offspring into a store unless it's an absolute emergency. Like, we're out of milk. Or vodka. You other mothers know what I'm talking about.

Also: the naps that used to power me through the first half of the week? Not happening right now. What I hoped in vain might be a fleeting nap strike is, I am stubbornly forced to admit, the reasonable and appropriate recognition that a four-year-old doesn't actually NEED a ninety-minute nap anymore. Sigh. There went a block of free computer time, followed by a brief but restorative snooze on the couch.

Despite these petty grievances, we've actually had a marvelous spring break. We've had playdates every day: the Galleria, the park, a neighbor's house and two here at home. We've explored every inch of the backyard, dumped and scooped buckets and buckets of sand (and, in the process, schlepped at least a million grains of the stuff into every room of the house) and conducted multiple experiments with homemade mud.
And now, it's time for a little break of my own. Our own, to be precise: just Mr. F5 and me. Amazingly enough, thirteen years have passed since that spring afternoon when we looked each other in the eyes and said, "I do" before a small gathering of friends and family.

One of those who was present, my brother John, wasn't even three years old at the time: younger than Carter, a little older than the twins. Now he's going to serve as babysitting assistant to our mom, who's agreed to spend twenty-four uninterrupted hours with the kids while Trey and I make ourselves scarce.

So the blogging once again takes a backseat. Which is probably as it should be. But I'll be back soon, I promise. Enjoy the break. I know I will.

15 Comments:

Blogger anniemcq said...

Honey, say no more. I was thinking you gave up blogging for lent, or were in some horrible accident in your new minivan where you had survived unscathed but traumatized and vowed never to write again. But no more nap? Yep, pretty much says it all.
Spring is wreaking havoc here too. It's way too nice to be outside.
Sure is nice to get a dose of Franklin, though!
And have a great 13th anniversary getaway! (our 13th is in April. His parents are coming for a visit - maybe we can get them to babysit!)

8:02 AM  
Blogger anniemcq said...

I meant to say "inside". As I'm sure you guessed.
More coffee for me.

8:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so envious and so happy for you! We rarely got anyone to watch the kids for us even when we lived within 30 minutes of both our parents - living in TX, well, the prospect of getting away by ourselves will have to gather dust on the shelf of marriage for now. Have FUN!

10:04 AM  
Blogger Weintribe said...

I just can't say enough how amazed I am by thirteen years.

that's almost the age span between chuck and myself (well, fourteen). the thought of your cute little brother as an almost-carter at your WEDDING just blows my mind.

congratulations you guys! So glad you got away and had some alone time!

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

13 years? You are practically newlyweds! I believe we missed meeting the Hazel/Franklin TrAmy by mere months. I so wish we could have attended the nuptials.

Hope you guys got wild and crazy on your 24 hours off. I hope this means you will be rested up and ready to give your devoted followers more regular doses of you wit, wisdom, and zany Franklin adventures!

7:10 PM  
Blogger life with the wisners said...

oh franklin...what bliss you must have had. jealous but tickled FOR you.

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy 13th! We celebrated ours (OK, maybe we at least remembered it) on March 12! May you have a wonderful and well deserved break.

My very own 4-year-old has finally said "Nuh-Uh" to even a tri-weekly nap, which I suppose is only fair with his fifth birthday a mere 100 or so days hence. But it does make for a long day when he doesn't have preschool. I am internally a bit relieved though, since kindergarten here is all day and I was worried if he would make it.

Hope your time alone is fab. We attempted to do that during spring break last year only to be recalled after paying $18 to get into a movie (we did get to have a very nice dinner before though). Seems son #1 thought it would be humorous to turn on Papa's treadmill while son #2 was standing on it. (Don't get me started on why Papa didn't put away the security key!) We scrambled out of V for Vendetta and back to grandma's to a sniffly and slightly bloody boy. So the rest of our evening "alone" was spent waiting for an ER doc to make sure we didn't need xrays and to glue the small split on his eyelid together. And by then there was no hope of leaving son #2 with anybody but mommy for the night. And son #1 was guilty and sorrowful for what he did, but alternately pissed that he had to go home. Sigh. Maybe this year.

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see your back, I almost gave up checking ;-)
Been wanting to comment since our big GNO about how great it was to meet and such, I had a fabulous time!
Hope your getaway was great and Happy 13th!

6:34 PM  
Blogger Big Mama said...

I don't know how I'm just seeing this post, but I clicked over here in my desperation for some Franklin humor and hoped against hope that I would find a new post despite what Bloglines was saying.

So, this isn't new, but it's new to me. Hope you've had a wonderful break.

7:29 PM  
Blogger mrsf5 said...

Well, we are in fact home, one full week later, just behind on the blogginess. For no good reason this time. Thanks for hanging with me, though, and thank you for your fun comments!

Love that Annie is approching her 13th, too, because we are, I am convinced, Best Friends Who Have Never Actually Met. Love Tracey's dusty marriage shelf, which is a perfect turn of phrase. Natch.

Love Jen's sweet awe at how ancient we are.

Love the Cobbs with their nine-month gain on us (and love the fact that I remember their anniversary every year, even though we (harumph) weren't invited to their wedding).

Love H & G's mommmy because... well, have you read her blog? Okay then.

Love Donna's hilarious shout-out! And have been meaning to ask: aren't you Donna from Dana's guestbook? If so, then HEY! Thanks for dropping by! If not, then HEY! Thanks, too!

Love Jenn for checking in! I started a post about our fab GNO and, you know, I might even POST it one day. LOL! Looking forward to a GNO reunion.

Love Big Mama for spreading amazing bloggity goodness wherever she goes.

Whoo... all that bloggy love makes me too tired to post anything original, so off to bed I go. New stuff SOON, I swear. And swain.

12:14 AM  
Blogger Rocks In My Dryer said...

Blogging? BACKSEAT? What is this you speak of??? ;)

Thanks for stopping by--your blog is delightful.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Weintribe said...

*humming a little hum*

any updates from the franklin five?

I've having withdrawals!!!

11:27 AM  
Blogger anniemcq said...

"Hey it's Franklin...
Comin' Over to pla-ay..."

I know that you're a busy mom, and all that, and you're probably doing something important, like actually LISTENING to your children when they speak to you (I hear Charley Brown's teacher when Joe-Henry talks to me these days, because, well, he doesn't ever STOP talking....), but I'm startin' to jones.

I miss your humor (although I'm adoring your comments on all the blogs - including mine - that I read, so at least I know you're alive!), and hope that I can lay enough guilt on, perfect my passive-aggressive Lutheran spiel to get you back to your computer!

A day in the blogosphere without Franklin is like chips with no salsa. It's alright, there's some good crunch out there, but where's the spice?

How'd I do? Will you come back?

6:05 PM  
Blogger life with the wisners said...

oh franklin five, if i see that "lucky break" one more time, i will be more sad than you can imagine. i need to live vicariously through you. i need me some franklin love. please...enlighten us. please.

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have left the country and returned, and still you have not updated us with the adventures of the Franklin 5. Sigh.

5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home