Friday, March 09, 2007

Daddios

Tonight, a few random observations of parenthood. Join me, won't you?

1. It can't possibly have been all that far away and long ago, but I'm unable to recall the last time an entire week passed without Trey jetting off to some fabulous destination. (He may split hairs on this, but I define "fabulous destination" as any structure, from a pup tent to a five-star hotel, without a diaper pail.)

Needless to say, this has been a nice change of pace for everyone. I'm more relaxed when he's home at the end of every day, the muppers are outright elated and, since the sun is hanging out a little longer these days, we've been able to enjoy a few early-evening strolls to the park, en famille. Life, it's good.

In fact, my only extraordinarily petty quibble about having Trey home every night is that I have to share the television with him. In sharp contrast to our pre-parenthood life, we watch very little TV these days. But with rare exceptions (perennial favorite The Daily Show and newcomer 30 Rock), we don't enjoy the same programs anymore.

Examples? I'll happily sit through just about anything featuring characters named Carrie Bradshaw or Phoebe Buffay. Also: Suzanne Sugarbaker and Oprah Winfrey. And talking. I like lots and lots of talking.

Trey, he's not especially interested in dialogue. He prefers noises, like WHIRRRRR and BANG! and SCREEECH. This can include, but is not limited to, Formula One racing, "V for Vendetta" and anything whatsoever to do with manufacturing. Just tonight, I noticed that he has recorded a documentary about cans.

Yes, cans. I couldn't believe it myself, until I read the description: "The tin can is spotlighted in this examination of its history and development."

How we missed that one at the movie theater, I'm sure I'll never know. Pass the popcorn.

2. There's another father in town tonight: mine. Opa and YaYa, as my dad and Betty are called when they're at our house, have made the trek west from Georgia this weekend.

The kids are thrilled to have a brand-new audience: Opa is teaching Carter how to cast a fishing line (first lesson: try not to aim for roofs, or your brother's head), YaYa and Katie instantly bonded over hairbows and Spencer got to play with Opa's digital camera after dinner, which basically made his entire week.

3. Watching them all have an absolute ball together moves me more than words can say. So if you'd like to read a truly gorgeous and thoroughly coherent post about babies and daddies and blessings beyond measure, I urge you to high-tail it to Big Mama. Personally, I've found it best to keep a box of kleenex nearby whenever I visit her blog: she either makes me cry big snotty tears, or laugh so hard that my eyes start leaking. You have now been warned.

4. With that in mind, hang onto that tissue just a little longer while you watch this brief yet meaningful video at Jen's blog. And I'm not trying to tell you how to live your life, honestly, but you should take me at my word when I beg you not to click this link with a full bladder or a mouthful of any beverage at all.

That's enough out of this mom for one night. Enjoy your weekends, one and all...

2 Comments:

Blogger anniemcq said...

You slay me. In a good way. I'd read BigMama's post yesterday and it knocked me out, too. So beautiful. But thank you, thank you, thank you for pointing me to Jen's post.

Thanks so much for a great post. Have a great time with the Grandparents!

8:28 AM  
Blogger anniemcq said...

Missy - where ARE you? I need my fix!

I mean, I know you have all those kids, and a life, etc., etc., but hellllooooooo. I have needs too!

I'm just kidding. But I do miss reading about you and your darlin' Texas family.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home