Saturday, February 24, 2007

Frankly, my dear

Who has seen the wind? Neither you nor I.

But if I'm somehow able to get my hands on said wind when next it passes by... well, somebody had better hold my earrings and pass the Vaseline, because I am some kind of ticked off right now. At yes, the wind.

Winds of the high, gusty and cross variety have conspired to cancel Trey's flight home this evening. And I wish I could say that I'm angry (at yes, the wind) because I miss my husband so dearly and want him by my side. That's true, of course.

But this irrational peevishness and frustration stems more from the fact that after three uninterrupted days of kid-wrangling without a safety net, my every nerve is frayed, my voice is shot to hell and I. really. need. a. break. Like, ten minutes ago.

So, looking at the clock and repeating affirmations of will and strength like, "Six more hours. I can totally hold on for six more hours," has given way to throwing up my hands in apathetic resignation and just trying not to cry. 'Cause my good mood is gone with the wind.

I really, really, really don't know how single mothers manage. And I am honestly, deeply, prayerfully grateful that I only have to manage for occasional bursts of time.

Deep breath: tomorrow is another day. So sweetie, hurry home, but safely. And forgive me for dipping into the philanthropy fund to make a little donation here.

Love, Scarlett

6 Comments:

Blogger anniemcq said...

Ohhhhhh, my dear. I can so sympathize. And I only have ONE. You are amazing, and when that hubby gets home, make him rub your feet. Or worship at them. Or both. You are a Goddess.

Sending you good wishes wrapped in Valium. Or dipped in an Appletini. Whichever would help the most.

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope by now that the feelings from this post is a distant bad memory, and you are lapping up the love from Trey!

Your haiku on blog
So awesome. Read to my man
He smiled a big smile.

9:05 AM  
Blogger mrsf5 said...

Poor Trey. He drove from Raleigh-Durham to Asheville last night so he could catch a flight out this morning... which was canceled. A man on a mission, he then drove to Spartansburg to catch ANOTHER flight, which is en route now.

So, let's do the math: four cities + three flights in 24 hours for him x three screechy kids + four days for me = two tired grown-ups who BOTH deserve footrubs, Valium and various alcoholic beverages.

Party at casa Franklin tonight!

9:47 AM  
Blogger anniemcq said...

Oh my. I wish I could come cook you all dinner, send the kids to bed for you and uncork a bottle of something cold and delicious for you and that hard working hubby of yours. Sounds like you've both been working really hard. Glad to hear he's on his way.

4:41 PM  
Blogger sg said...

I am so sorry. You are amazing for pulling through 4 days. Especially the UNEXPECTED hours -- there's nothing worse. Hope you all are having a happy reunion!

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to hear your sweet hubby is home. I can't imagine the frustration from both sides, him trying to get on a plane and you anxiously awaiting word that he did get on a plane!

Blasted no good wind!

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home