Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Dreams

Adjusting to her new role as stay-at-home mother of two (no easy task, that one) and counting down hours until school doors reopen after this very long winter break (ditto), my friend Mimi was having a day of the Challenging sort.

Experienced mothers everywhere are nodding their heads and folding their hands: girl, we've all been there. It's how you respond to those days that makes life interesting. I tend to assume the shape of an ostrich, a possum or possibly a shrieking, hysterical hyena. Mimi, she's a social butterfly.

So she fluttered around and spread the word: I'm going to see a movie tonight. Who's in?

Well, I was. Jen was, too. And so after all of the kids were in bed, we met up and settled into a dark movie theater, armed with chocolate treats, for a late showing of Dreamgirls. My personal guarantee: if you are having a Challenging sort of day, this will cure you. Rousing, fun, moving... the music is amazing, the cast is impressive and the costumes are stunning.

Not even a dash through the cold rain to my car spoiled my good mood after we'd reluctantly left the theater. And when I cranked up the radio while waiting for the heater to warm me up, I was amazed to discover that I could belt out the tunes just like Chaka Khan: I'm every woman; it's all in meeeee....

Hey, a girl can dream.

(Thanks, Mimi. And thanks, Trey, not only for encouraging me to get out of the house, but for making the personal sacrifice to forego watching football so I could record some show on PBS. That's love.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friend Lisa is exactly like that. Bad day? Well the solution is to get together with girlfriends! She doesn't understand why when I have a bad day, I refuse to answer the phone and retreat into my dark cave. Hey, to each her own!

I've heard Dreamgirls is awesome.

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home