Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Frosting on the cake

SO much more to say than time to say it: the Chicks concert, the arrival of the aforementioned baby chick, Carter's birthday party and all the fun and frivolity that it entailed. But I'll keep it short and sweet tonight before I lay down my very weary head.

To great fanfare and a filthy house, Trey returned from Chicago a few hours ago, just in time for bath- and bed-time, and minutes before I had a toddler-sized meltdown of my very own. After a fair-sized struggle, we got the terrible two to bed and then turned our full attention to our tow-headed firstborn.

The last book had been read when Trey looked at the clock and said, "Carter, it was just about this time four years ago when Mommy realized that you were about to be born."

"That's right," I said with a catch in my throat as I held his hand and peered into his sea-blue eyes. "We were just Amy and Trey that night, but at 3:17 the next afternoon, we became your Mommy and Daddy. You were seven pounds, nine ounces and absolutely perfect."

"Mommy?" Carter said, with a rapt expression on his face. "Did you hear the noise I just made with my mouth?

"That was spit."

Sweet dreams, my funny boy who steadfastly refuses to let me take anything too seriously. We'll see you in the morning, when you're four.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Carter!

Did you know that when you are four you are *so* grown up?

Sometimes you can even negotiate your way out of a nap!

(good luck with that!)

And Trey and Amy....happy four years as parents! Don't you feel so grown up too?

Jen

6:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you need to check your calendar. There is no way little Mr. C is already 4.

Happy birthday, Carter!

And hip-hip-hooray for the former TrAmy! Who knew you would one day become...TrAmCar SpenKa?!?

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sitting here in a puddle..sniff sniff.. I can't believe Carter is 4. The noise I made in my throat. Bah! Happy Birthday Sweet Carter!

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BonJour,

I hear you. He's still the cutest little blond hair, blue eyed, CarterBug THAT I'VE NEVER SEEN IN PERSON.
I'm throwing down the gauntlet Trey and Anthony, MAKE IT HAPPEN!

8:16 PM  
Blogger mrsf5 said...

Thank you all so much for taking the time to comment! Today definitely felt like a milestone for the lot of us, and it's been wonderful to share the celebration with you. A great big collective MWAH!

Shigeta. Seriously. How is it possible that we have talked on the phone almost every day for the past FIVE YEARS, yet have these four children that we have never seen in three dimensions? It is a TRAVESTY.

So when I pointed out your challenge to Trey, why did the words "well, maybe for your birthday... " fly out of his mouth? He can't possibly mean my birthday in May of next year. Surely he refers to the half-birthday that just passed us by in November.

We'll let him ponder this as he sleeps on the couch tonight.

And so again I say MWAH!

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just want to set the record straight. After reading Shigeta's throw down, I said "well, I could suprise you for your birthday, but that's too far away. I got a ticket to Chicago for $136 recently. If the two of you can work out schedules, I will pay for the ticket."

5:04 AM  
Blogger mrsf5 said...

Oh, fine: I didn't realize we were going for ACCURACY. Sheesh.

Well, he's correct, of course. And just to clarify: he wasn't sent to the couch to sleep; he'd just crashed there with the lights on and the TV blaring before I turned them off and dragged him, semi-conscious, to bed.

But wasn't my telling more fun? And isn't it great that I provoked him to write something on this blog that he created? Score: me.

Oh, and Shigeta: we'regoingtoLondon! (Dallas, London; same difference, really.)

7:11 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

So I'm browsing blogs, and I stumble upon yours. I think to myself, "Self, looks like an interesting one to read: Cute kids, seems pretty family-oriented..."

And the second post I read is about your son turning 4! My daughter just turned 4 (My first). So I know what you're going through.

Can we just go back for a moment to a time when they didn't walk and talk and make jokes and argue? Just for a moment?

Nope. Those moments are gone...all we have is today.

Anyway, it was nice to talk at you. Take care,

MN Rachel

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a perfect post. Happy Birthday, Carter and family!

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home