Saturday, December 16, 2006

Au courant

Do you know the thrill of stumbling across something so new and cool and funny and chic that you're briefly tempted to keep it all to yourself, but you just can't help sharing your discovery with the world?

Last year, my mom unearthed this little television jewel called Seinfeld. "It's about nothing," she raved, "but it's hysterical! You should really check it out!"

After gentle prodding, I eventually determined that she was AWARE the episodes she was watching were a good ten years old and thus not newsworthy, but her enthusiasm remained undimmed. And so I tried to feign interest when she called to say things like, "So they all go out for soup. But George wants bread for his soup. And then he gets banned from the soup line! It was hilarious!"

Well. I know how she feels now. Because I have just discovered this fabulous stuff called "coffee" that's served in many unique and delicious ways at this adorable place called Starbucks! And I am so excited that I just have to share my revelation with you, my closest friends.

Oh, I know you're thinking, "Coffee? Well, I tried it once when I was in junior high school, and: bleah. Plus, it burned the roof of my mouth." Trust me: I used to feel the same way! For years! But it turns out that when you take the icky coffee and blend it with stuff like peppermint, chocolate or pumpkin, and maybe frappe it with some ice and top it with a dollop of whipped cream, it makes this yummy little pick-me-up.

And here's the fun part: it actually DOES pep you up! I'd heard this rumor for years but had never experimented myself. I have to warn you that it seems to have a mildly addictive effect, to the point where I frequently find myself staring into space with my mouth slightly open, pondering what errand I can run that might put me in the vicinity of a store with a drive-through. Great news, though: there's one on just about every street corner.

Confession: I haven't had a chance to check the nutritional info on these little drinks, but how bad could it be? It's only a beverage, after all. So feel free, as I do, to reward yourself with a side of baked goodness, like, say, a slab of holiday gingerbread. It's bedecked with chunks of real ginger and slathered with cream-cheese frosting.

You're welcome.

P.S. To her credit, I should add that shortly after I birthed the twins, my mom accurately predicted that I would become a java mama, despite my protests to the contrary. I was complaining about being tired (go figure) when she said, yep, you'll find that coffee is your new best friend when you're a mother of three.

Her face got dreamy for about a second, then quickly brightened as she added, "And cigarettes! Oooooh, you're gonna LOVE cigarettes!"

Thanks, Mom.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of coffee! I started drinking it so I could sit in a diner and look cool ordering endless cups like they used to do in the movies. Now in the movies they just dart in and out of Starbucks, and there is nothing endless about $4 for a half-caff soy latte with sugar-free vanilla syrup (yum!).

Honestly, Amy, our mothers should meet. Did I tell you about the time she told me she thought she should smoke pot to help her headaches and asked whether my brother could get her some? There are some conversations you never want to have with a parent.

On second thought, when I picture our moms meeting, visions of mushroom clouds keep popping into my head. Maybe it is better that those two worlds don't collide.

5:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOooh, try the Eggnog Latte, you won't regret it!!!! I am so glad you've joined us, mi hermana . . . the world of coffee is a happy place to be (and quickly followed by the world of Crest Whitestrips, which you may want to venture into in about 6 mths to ward off the coffee stains, but don't let that deter you . . .) And I just have to add that I'm seriously ticked at Starbucks. When I moved to this po-dunk town last summer and noted that there were no circular green coffee signs to be found, I quickly shot off an email to their corporate office, begging them to consider the booming metropolis of Vicksburg as a potential site for new cafes. My only response was a "gee, thanks, maybe SOMEDAY!" booo hiisss! So enjoy your frappes, lattes and mochas . . .I'll be brewing my own concoctions at home. :-(
Mucho love,
Your Sister Sarah

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chuck and I were just wondering where all of our spare change has gone (or, make that, spare $5 bills). Could it be related to the flood of paper cups that tumble out whenever I open my car door?

Nah!

I do have to say that I laughed out loud at your mom's cigarette advice.

I'm so happy you're blogging!

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your mom! Seriously, I would SO be that chain smoking mom if I was born 30 years ago. My mom WAS that chain smoking mom 30 years ago. Too bad we know it's bad for us...I would be skinny AND buzzed, versus the just buzzed from Starbucks. Although I do order my peppermint mochas nonfat...I love me my peppermint mochas.

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home