Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Ketchup.

Ketchup? No, I'm not talking about the condiment; I'm talking about feeling woefully behind on everybigandlittlething, not excluding this sad, neglected cyberjournal. I'm talking about the punchline to the joke that Mia eventually spilled to Vincent in Pulp Fiction. Here's how she told it:

"So there's Papa Tomato, Mama Tomato and Baby Tomato walking along the street. Baby Tomato starts lagging behind, and Papa Tomato starts getting really angry. So, he turns around and squishes Baby Tomato and says, 'Ketchup.'"

Yeah, it's better on the screen than the page. What? You don't know this scene? Go find the movie right now and check it out for yourself. Unless you're my mother, in which case you should definitely NOT. Please, please trust me on this one.

Anyway: other than the giant hovering foot, all is well. Kids happy and healthy. Trey busy at work. Me busy here, there and everywhere. And, lo, a wintry mix looming on the horizon.

Tonight was all about fun, though: we had the Weintraubs over for dinner. Nanny would be disappointed to hear that I didn't cook for our guests; she'd be utterly appalled if she knew that said guests were actually called upon to retrieve dinner from P.F. Chang's. (Cringe.)

There's just no telling what she would think about our five funny urchins running wild 'round the house and creating noise at decibels that might well shatter glass.

To me, it was music. Happy, healthy kids, having a fabulous time. Eating a little, instigating an occasional skirmish, laughing a lot. Shrieking with delight when Trey walked in the door and knocking him off-balance with one massive group hug. Bidding each other good-bye long past the point of reason.

Now, they're tucked into their beds and sleeping soundly. As far as they're concerned, they're all caught up for the day. Think I'll take my cue from them and give my worries and coulda-shoulda-haftas a break for the night.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm...P.F. Changs. Add a glass of wine and some good girl chat, and that sounds like a perfect evening! I am the queen of inviting my friends over and just ordering pizza. Stressing about cooking just sucks all the joy out of having people over, lol.

I wish you guys lived in Austin! I can't picture myself ever settling in Dallas (even Austin is still sometimes too "Texas" for me) but I can definitely see myself hanging out with you and the Weintraubs on a regular basis!

7:43 AM  
Blogger mrsf5 said...

Too funny: I was on the phone with the other Tracey yesterday, and we were saying the EXACT same thing: let's move to Austin!!

Whaddayasay, Jen: are you in? Allons-y, vamanos and andiamo: it's time for a change of scene!!

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG-I'm so there. or actually, almost was :P

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't speak with any authority, being a Texan for all of 5 months now, but I hear REPEATEDLY that we are the best place to be in Texas. :) C'mon, you got Lake Travis, great weather, rabid Longhorn fans, and the Robinson family. What's not to love?

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home